Besides your ever- evolving arsenal of tricks and talents, there is one main, inner driver that can put you in overdrive to get whatever you set out to accomplish. That driver is “self-confidence. It’s the beam that puts a bright spotlight on your capabilities. It’s the fuel behind persistence and tenacity. It’s the X-factor that you might not even realize you have.
Years ago, self-confidence wasn’t even in my vocabulary. Yes, back then I still accomplished things that were important to me, but I had to push, push, and push some more. It was hard work –more difficult than it had to be in a lot of instances. Then, during one particularly harrowing, head-in-hands moment, a realization hit. It was then that I took responsibility for over-dramatizing the task at hand. I was the one talking myself down and casting doubt. I was the one questioning my abilities and closing doors, instead of tugging on knobs to fling them open. I knew that this goal that I was just about to give up on, was really no different from the others I set for myself in the past. Somehow, I had successfully managed to maneuver my way through those. And when I deconstructed that “somehow,” it became my proof that I had exactly what it took to see challenges through. It was also then that my self-confidence was unleashed and I gave it a name. It was and still is my star-power. It launches everything else that I have going for me.
So if you’re struggling developing a healthy-dose of the fuel that self-confidence provides, here are a few steps you can take to nurture yours:
- Take a good look in the rear view mirror of your life and review all of your accomplishments so far. Raising kids? Finishing school? Getting your driver’s license? Financing a home? Walking or running a 5K? Going after a job? Diffusing an argument?
- Once you have a big list of all the things you’ve been successful with so far, identify the skill-sets you needed and put those skills to use for future ambitions.
- Keep meeting new people, learning new things and new ways of doing things.
- Come out of hiding and face your fears.
- Identify negative thoughts and self-talk for what they are….saboteurs!
- Know what you know and know what you want.
Unleash your star-power! You have what it takes so give it a name.